• Animal body temperature control at its simplest — feedback loop maintains animal’s temperature
• Versatile – offered in three sizes – for adult mice, rats, cats, dogs or similar sized animals
• Select from rigid or flexible probes:
– Rigid probe for use with mice to larger animals
– Flexible probe for use with mice to larger animals
• New light weight package
• Improved electronic circuitry
• Suitable with high gain recording equipment
• Displays actual body temperature on Control Unit from 35° to 40°C (95° to 104°F)
Simple and Easy
Wrap the animal tightly in the heating blanket, using tape if necessary. Insert the temperature-sensing probe rectally, and set the required temperature by means of the control on the front panel.
Should the animal’s core temperature fall, power is automatically increased to the blanket; conversely, power will automatically reduce if the animal’s temperature rises. During this process the animal’s temperature is continuously displayed on a front panel LCD display.
This homeothermic blanket system consists of three parts: a probe, a control unit, and a blanket. The flexible probe is a precision thermistor encapsulated in a bead of epoxy resin at the top of a flexible hollow plastic tube. The 1.6 mm diameter probe is 100 mm (4 in) long and has a 2 m (6 ft) long cable with plug for attachment to the control unit. It is suitable for a wide range of laboratory animals from adult mice to large dogs.
The rigid probe is a stainless steel shaft with a diameter of 1.6 mm. The shaft attaches to a 2 m (6 ft) cable with a plug that connects to the control unit. It is suitable for use with mice, rodents, rabbits, cats and dogs. The output of the temperature sensing probe is used by the control unit to proportionally control the regulated, low-voltage DC supply to the blanket. This method of control alleviates the interference problems associated with that of non-proportional control, such as switching contacts, thus enabling the system to be used in conjunction with high-gain recording systems.
The control temperature is preset at 37°C (98.6°F) at the factory, but can be adjusted within the range of 35° to 40°C (95° to 104°F) by means of a control on the front panel. An LCD display on the control unit continuously displays the probe temperature. A horizontal LED bar graph indicates the level of power being delivered to the blanket. When core temperature is substantially below the desired temperature the bar graph will indicate maximum power being delivered.
The blanket consists of a highly flexible insulated heating element, which can be folded without risking internal damage. It is electrically floating, with respect to ground however, one end of the heating element can be grounded by a switch on the front panel of the control unit. The system operates satisfactorily whether or not the blanket is grounded. Special circuitry eliminates electrical noise thus permitting sensitive recordings.
Blankets are available in three sizes:
• Small Blanket: Measures 15 x 20 cm (6 x 8 in) and is suitable for rodents
• Medium Blanket: Measures 45 x 70 cm (18 x 27 in) and is suitable for rabbits and cats
• Large Blanket: Measures 60 x 90 cm (24 x 36 in) and is suitable for dogs
The blanket is supplied with a 2 m (6 ft) cable attached to a plug for connection to the control unit. This system enables the researcher to maintain an animal’s temperature within the preset range of 35° to 40°C (95° to 104°F). Each system is supplied complete with control unit, temperature probe, blanket and plastic cover for blanket.