• 16-channel data acquisition software for isolated tissue studies
• For Windows® NT, 2000, XP
• To measure isometric or isotonic tissue contractions
• Can handle smooth muscle as well as beating or electrically stimulated muscle
• Possibilities of controlling electrical stimulation, pretension adjustment and flushing
• Easy to use, reduced settings by using configuration files
• Storage of raw data with possibility for replay; complete experiments can be replayed
• Indication of the measured signals and parameters online in numerical tabular form or graphical detail and trend windows
• Data exchange interface by converting the data into the ASCII delimited format
• Monitoring of the experimental sequence by placing event markers and concentration information
• Very easy graphical selection of specific data points by cursors for evaluation, data reduction and export
• Export of a raw data sequence into ASCII delimited format
The HSE-HA ACAD software can be adapted to virtually any experimental investigation in tissue bath experiments. It is possible to acquire signals from isotonic (displacement) or isometric (force) measurements. The isotonic displacement measurement is used on smooth muscles, for example on ileum, ductus deferens, lung strips, also bladder... Isometric force measurement is used with tracheal muscle, atrium, papillary muscle, aortic rings, veins or other vessel rings. Experiments on spontaneously beating or electrically stimulated tissues are also possible. Various parameters can be derived from these signals depending on the model used. During data acquisition all acquired signals and derived parameters are stored on the hard disc and can be displayed graphically on the screen.
The HSE-HA ACAD software is available in a basic version which includes the minimal necessary algorithms to evaluate the resting tension. This version can be upgraded to a more complex system including all the available algorithms. The configuration of the system is defined in configuration files to reduce the settings necessary and to ensure a stable and secure system. The user has only to calibrate the signals and to fix the graphics scaling, all the hardware definitions and the algorithms used are defined in the configuration files. This reduces the amount of information necessary in the standard operating procedures and the possibilities of wrong settings. The configuration files can of course be changed and the software can be used in combination with a set of different configuration files to match the different experiments.
The ACAD software can control preload adjustment and flushing as well as data acquisition and calculation. It was developed for use with our universal setup for isolated organ studies. It can also be used with any existing manually-operated tissue bath setup. It is possible to use ACAD only for data acquisition without controlling or with full controlling in order to automate all routine operations and provide full processing and printing facilities for the results.
The HSE-HA ACAD software has a maximum of 16 channels, i.e. up to 16 different raw signals can be handled. The assignment of the signals to the individual channels is determined in the configuration files. The sample rate, the type of signals and the algorithm used for analysis are also defined in the configuration file. The arrangement of the graphic detail (raw signals) and trend (calculated parameters) is defined in the menu. The user has only to set up which of the available signals he wants to acquire and display, which of the possible parameters he wants to evaluate and display; to enter the experimental protocol and finally to calibrate before he starts the data acquisition. The ACAD software operates with the PLUGSYS hardware only!
The HSE-HA Data Acquisition Hardware for ACAD Software is available in three versions:
• PLUGSYS Version 73-0161
This version consists of the PCI A/D board DT301 and the cable for connecting to a DIM Data Interface Module installed in the PLUGSYS basic system case
• Stand Alone Version 73-0235
This version consists of the PCI A/D board DT301 and a BNC input box where signals from external amplifiers can be connected
• USB Stand Alone Version 73-3330
This version consists of the 16 channel USB A/D converter box with BNC inputs and USB cable
Hardware Requirements for ACAD:
Both the PLUGSYS and Stand Alone versions require the following computer hardware:
Computer - PC Pentium, at least 500 MHz with one free PCI-slot
RAM 128 MB of RAM
Operating System Windows 2000/XP, 64 MB RAM NT
Hard Disk Space At least 3.2 GB
Floppy Drive 1.44 MB
CD-ROM Drive Required
Backup Media MO drive, CD recorder or ZIP drive
For computer-controlled applications it is necessary to have a PLUGSYS Maincase and the PLUGSYS Version of the Data Acquisition Hardware with DIM-D extension. The PLUGSYS Maincase can receive the Transducer Amplifiers TAM-A. The housing takes also the Programmable Stimulator Modules PSM or the PPG Module for triggering an external Stimulator. In addition to these modules an Output Driver Module ODM is used to control the pumps and valves via an Extension Unit. This Extension Unit contains the electronics to switch pumps, valves and automatic vernier controls.
• Manual Control Box MCB for manual draining or refilling of the organ bath or to adjust preload manually
• HSE-HA Flushing Unit with pumps and valves to drain and refill the organ bath
• Motor Vernier Control Type 850/E for isometric measurements for each organ can be used to set preload automatically
The basic version of HSE-ACAD for smooth muscles calculates the following parameter:
• Resting tension
The option for beating tissues additionally calculates the following parameters:
• Amplitude, Rate, ±dF/dt
The advanced version for stimulated beating tissues additionally calculates the following parameters:
• Amplitude, Rate, ±dF/dt, Contraction time CT, Relaxation time RT, Response duration RD, Peak duration PD, Latency period LP
This version can be used for beating tissues and stimulated beating tissues such as atrium or papillary muscle. To calculate the Latency Period computer-controlled stimulation of the tissue is necessary. It is possible to use the HSE-HA Programmable Stimulator PSM or to trigger an external stimulator using a PPG module.