IH-SR Core System for Isolated Small Rodent Heart
The IH-SR Langendorff Core System is the starting point for all isolated perfused heart experiments on small rodents such as mouse, rat and guinea pig in the Langendorff retrograde perfusion mode.
The core Langendorff system can be easily upgraded to a working heart-ready (ejecting heart) configuration any time later.
Because of its larger heart chamber, this system is well-suited for applications that require ECG and MAP recordings in addition to LVP and pacing. The fully closing heart chamber allows for precise temperature control, making it the optimal choice for mouse heart perfusion.
Please Note: A fully functional IH-SR system requires the addition of core system options and other components. Other options and upgrades enable specific measurements or applications.
To ensure that your system is properly configured as a functional unit that meets your application needs, please complete the Checklist at the back of the catalog and then contact Technical Services before placing an order. In the US and outside of Europe, call 800-547-6766 or email email@example.com. In Europe, please call (49) 7665-92000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Core System contains all the primary equipment you need to accomplish the basic Langendorff experiment. A fully functional IH-SR Langendorff System additionally requires the selection of core system options and other components including:
- Method of constant pressure perfusion
- Species-specific additions (cannulae, buffer reservoirs and balloons)
- Desired data acquisition system
The IH-SR Langendorff Core System can be upgraded to a fully ejecting working heart system (according to Neely), accommodating aortic flows up to 60 ml/min. Other options enable additional measurement and application-specific capabilities.
Advanced System Design
Features & Benefits
Measured Signals & Calculated Parameters
Additional Requirements for a Functional Langendorff Unit
Specialized Applications & Upgrades
Advanced design provides ease-of-use and exceptional stability of measurements while maintaining the flexibility to upgrade to more advanced capabilities.
IH series systems do not use high water-columns to achieve a constant pressure and rely on instead other safer methods (Starling resistor or feedback-based perfusion controller) that keep every portion of your system within easy reach.
The aortic block is fully enclosed in the water-jacketed upper and lower IH-SR heart chamber and precision milled from thermally stable Perspex. This design allows for precise temperature control and stability, making it the optimal choice for mouse heart perfusion. Because of its larger heart chamber, this system is well-suited for applications that require ECG and MAP recordings in addition to LVP and pacing.
- Langendorff and optional working heart perfusion in a single system
- Compact design with no high water columns—optimized individually for mouse, rat or guinea pig
- Constant pressure or constant flow perfusion in one unit—easily switch between the two modes without changes in tubing setup
- Suitable for hearts from hypertensive rats (perfusion pressures up to 300 mmHg are possible)
- Unique integrated small volume aortic block with built-in bubble trap (immediately above the aortic cannula) and Windkessel
- Large fully-heated, closed heart chamber—important to maintain heart temperature
- Natural physiological environment for the isolated heart
- Hearts are kept alive for hours in a very stable physiologic environment
- All electrodes, catheters and probes are fully enclosed in the unique closed jacketed chamber—easy, direct access to the heart and to maintain physiological conditions while performing the experiments
- Low dead space volume—fluid injection pathway directly on top of the aortic cannula into aortic stream
- Different cannula sizes available—all metal, no fragile glass cannulae
- Cannula resistance is optimized according to Hagen-Poiseuilles physical law
- Proprietary mini-holders—allow easy and stress-free positioning of electrodes, catheters and probes
- Study of myogene autoregulation with the addition of Direct Coronary Flow Measurement Option
- Testing with inotropic substances
- Testing of lusitrope substances
- Testing of vasoactive substances
- Cardiac rhythm tests
- Ischemia/hypoxia studies
- Refractory period studies
- Ischemia/reperfusion injury studies
- Cardioplegia studies
- Cardiac preconditioning
- Cardiovascular screening performance
- Electrophysiology studies
- Phenotyping of transgenic animals
- Drug compound screening
- Toxicology studies
- Biochemical tests
The following signals are recorded as raw data in retrograde Langendorff perfusion:
- Isovolumetric left ventricular pressure (LVP) with balloon method
- Aortic (perfusion) pressure
- Coronary flow*
The following parameters are calculated from the raw data (using the ISOHEART data acquisition software):
- dLVP/dt, dLVP/dt Max, dLVP/dt Min, contractility index
- Systolic and diastolic LVP
- Heart rate
- Mean perfusion pressure
- Mean perfusion flow*
- Coronary resistance*
* This parameter is based on indirect flow measurement with the SCP controller or direct ultrasound flow measurement with the TTFM-2 flowmeter and suitable flow probe.
Included items are representative of a typical IH-SR Core System. Individual components can be customized to your needs.
|IH-SR Core System, Basic, 230 V (73-4343) includes:||IH-SR Core System, Basic, 115 V (73-4344) includes:|
|73-4991||IH-SR Base Unit for Small Rodent Hearts (Up to 800 g)||73-4991||IH-SR Base Unit for Small Rodent Hearts (Up to 800 g)|
|73-4544||Thermostatic Circulator TC120-ST5, Bath Volume 5 L, 230 V/50 Hz||73-4545||Thermostatic Circulator TC120-ST5, Bath Volume 5 L, 115 V/60 Hz
|-||REGLO Peristaltic Pump
||-||REGLO Peristaltic Pump
|73-0045||PLUGSYS Case, Type 603||73-0045||PLUGSYS Case, Type 603|
|73-1793||PLUGSYS Transducer Amplifier Module (TAM-D)||73-1793||PLUGSYS Transducer Amplifier Module (TAM-D)
|73-0065||PLUGSYS Transducer Amplifier Module (TAM-A) (Does not include balloon)||73-0065||PLUGSYS Transducer Amplifier Module (TAM-A) (Does not include balloon)
|73-3862||APT300 Pressure Transducers (2 included)||73-3862||APT300 Pressure Transducers (2 included)|
|73-3869||Holder for APT300 Transducer, 8 mm Rod, Length 75 mm||73-3869||Holder for APT300 Transducer, 8 mm Rod, Length 75 mm|
|73-0566||Perspex Block Clamp to mount transducer onto rod (up to 9 mm OD)||73-0566||Perspex Block Clamp to mount transducer onto rod (up to 9 mm OD)|
The IH-SR Base Unit (73-4991) includes:
Plexiglas stand, aortic block with aorta link unit with Windkessel, heat exchanger, jacketed heart chamber, needle valve for adjusting gas flow, holder for transducer for perfusion pressure, tubings. Aortic cannula and buffer reservoir must be ordered separately.
For a functional unit, species-specific core options and pressure controller systems must be added.
An IH-SR Langendorff basic functional unit requires the addition of core options to the selected Core System (either 73-4343 or 73-4344); specifically, the addition of a perfusion pressure controllers (SCP module or Starling resistor) and a species-specific addition.
Please contact our technical team for help.
Provides real-time evaluation of a wide range of signals and classical cardiovascular parameters.
Note: Ponemah Data Acquisition & Analysis Software from DSI,a Harvard Bioscience Company is also suitable.
Used to warm and maintain temperature of the perfusate.
Used in conjunction with a peristaltic pump to deliver warmed perfusate to the target organ and to aerate the perfusate with O2 and CO2.
Options for required additions to the IH-SR Core System for species-specific Langendorff Only or Langendorff Working Heart-Ready configurations.
The IH-SR Langendorff Core System is prepared for upgrade to a working ejecting heart according to Neely later on. To upgrade an IH-SR Lagendorff Core System to a IH-SR Working Heart System, add the Working Heart Upgrade and one of the species-specific additions. Researchers who know they will be upgrading to working ejecting heart in the future may start with a Langendorff Working Heart-Ready configuration. If you intend to measure coronary flow, you need a TTFM-2 flowmeter and a species suitable flowmeter. (SCP cannot be used for Working Heart.)
A Langendorff Only configuration can easily be modified to a Langendorff Working Heart-Ready configuration. Please contact our technical team for help!
Coronary flow measurement can be accomplished in an IH-SR unit using two methods:
- Indirect measurement by controlling the pump speed of a peristaltic pump (SCP controller)
- Direct measurement with Ultrasound Transit Time Technic (TTFM-2 module)
Pulmonary artery cannulae, preparation dish and effluent funnel for collection of effluent from the coronaries for metabolic studies, further analysis, or forcontinuous pO2, pH, or pCO2 measurements.
For oxygenation of buffer solution supplemented with albumin, fatty acids, washed erythrocytes, or other foaming additives.
For filtration of recirculated perfusate.
Measure perfusate temperature in any isolated perfused organ system. Since the system is well thermostated, temperature measurement is only necessary when specific temperature studies with special temperature protocols are being performed, e.g. cooling or transplantation studies.
Permits precise continuous or intermittent measurement in liquid media or perfusate of three key parameters: pO2, pH and pCO2.
These options for drug addition can be added to any isolated organ system where flow is measured or calculated and a drug must be added in a certain ratio.
Add this upgrade to a working IH-SR system for cell isolation/cell extraction applications.
For addition of pacing to functional IH-SR or IH-5 Langendorff and Working Heart Systems. For small rodent hearts (mouse, rat and guinea pig).
For single-lead ECG and MAP on functional IH-5 systems, one ECG lead is combined with one MAP electrode.